Another one-tanker on the Dara last Friday. In truth that wasn’t the original plan. We’d decided – perhaps optimistically in hindsight – to go to the Neptune and Jumbo. Even on Thursday evening there were signs that the weather might not co-operate on that one and by Friday morning, the forecast had deteriorated still further. Reasonable sea-state in the morning but picking up to 6-9ft offshore in the afternoon said the recorded message and past experience (not to say common sense) tells you that you don’t want to be around when that happens.
One of the benefits of the Dara is that it’s only 11km from Hamriyah, meaning that you’re not too far from shore if a quick exit is required. We hooked the anchor close to the bow for a change and it took a few minutes to work out exactly we were. Once the bow was found all was clear and we also got to see a large stingray gliding into the distance. Again no photos but at least this time Derek and I both spotted it. Derek, incidentally had joined us having just stepped off the plane from Beijing. The viz was reasonable and there was very little current considering it was a spring tide.
After we’d all done one dive the promised rise in sea state was clearly starting to happen so we decided not to push our luck any further and headed back – forced to spend the afternoon with a couple of drinks by the pool. It was tough but someone’s got to do it.
It has been suggested that a camp-out in a couple of weeks time might be a good plan while the weather allows it. Watch this space.
Ian Hussey and Dive Club writers.